Jackson Pollock - Fractal Geometry

                                                        By Jennifer  Niemier  MedBricks 


  When I was a senior in high school in 1983, I created an art piece of the New York skyline and Twin Towers. As a young girl living in Nebraska, I never had an opportunity to visit New York. My fascination with the architecture and the lights of New York inspired me. My art piece was specially selected as part of a traveling exhibition around the country. I graduated high school, went to college, got married, and was blessed with two children.


Time lapsed and I lost track of the whereabouts of the art that was traveling in exhibitions. Then in 2001 9-11 happened. I was devastated watching the Twin Towers collapsing into the ground. I never got the opportunity to see the towers in person. The art meant so much more to me after 9-11. A few weeks after 9-11, my mother called me and said that I received a package containing my long-lost art. When I opened the package, I became extremely emotional! It was a painful memory that brought me joy and sadness. It is a mystery that the art came back to me from nowhere without a return sender.

When I think about my art and how it makes me feel it reminds me of other great artists like Jackson Pollock. Appreciating the beauty of art is the perfect human expression. Albert Einstein says “The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.”

Jackson Pollock (1912–1956) an abstract expressionist artist, was born in Cody, Wyoming into a dysfunctional family. He was abandoned by his abusive alcoholic father. At 18 he moved to New York and got training from well-respected artists of those times. He took a drastic turn from his early style and created a new class of art called abstract expressionism.

He mastered a special kind of art, called drip art. He perfectly mastered how to mix the paint with extraordinary precision. He splattered the paint across the canvas, seemingly random but found to be very well thought out designs. His unique style of splattering created curiosity among mathematicians and physicists. Richard Taylor, a physicist from Oregon University found Jackson Pollock’s art is embedded with fractal geometry. One of the characteristics of fractal geometry is not just the whole contains the parts but each part can contain the whole. It is a very counterintuitive idea.



If you look at his drawings from any distance like 1 foot away, 5 feet away, or even 10 feet away looks exactly the same. The entire art drawing is multiple repetitions of the small area. Richard Taylor designed a machine called “Pollockizer” that imitates Jackson Pollock’s drip art. Jackson Pollock is in a class of his own and his art has been sold for more than $200 Million dollars.
He became an icon in American modern art. He succumbed to his addictions to alcohol and died in a car crash at the age of 44 in 1956. Jackson Pollock left a long-lasting legacy in the world of art having millions of fans.
I am just one of them!
Jennifer N
_____________________________________
Art is a powerful therapy. Here we are celebrating artists that inspired science and mathematics. Jackson Pollock is a giant among them like Escher!
Here you can buy merchandise celebrating Jackson Pollock's life





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Nurse with Data - DailyWearForMedicine.com

The Incredible Mind of Ramanujan www.RAMANA.com

Avicenna - First Cardiologist - DailyWearForMedicine.com